Thursday, August 28, 2014

Walking While Black -- As Unsafe As Driving While Black


"I was wrongly arrested, locked up, denied a phone call, denied explanation of charges against me, denied ever being read my rights, denied being able to speak to my lawyer for a lengthy time, and denied being told that my car had been impounded . . .  All because I was mis-indentified as the wrong 'tall, bald head, black male,'" Belk wrote on Facebook. 

Don't you know, Mr. Belk, that in the United States of Homeland you have no rights, especially as a black man, and especially with our insanely overmilitarized police? It shouldn't have to be said, but you're lucky you weren't shot by some trigger-happy Stasi wannabes, like these women were, like countless other innocent people have been.

So the cops in this case apologized. Big deal. I'd say they owe you more than an apology.

We already know the cardinal sin of DWB (driving while black). Now we can add WBWB (waiting for the bus while black) and Charles Belk's crime of WWB (walking while black). 

But millions of clueless Americans will just shrug and start frothing at the mouth about "racism is over" and "why can't you stop talking about race?" and "I'm so sick of hearing about this" and blah blah blah.

The Land of Denial must be a very happy place, judging by the number of people who live there.