Wednesday, July 16, 2014

DHS Keeping A List, Checking It Twice


It's pretty common these days to have your resumé/curriculum vitae publicly available on a website. Most people use LinkedIn, which I can't abide (it plunders your private email account, sends invitations without your knowledge to everybody under the sun to "link" to you, pretends to get you jobs, and other things not worth going into), so I use a site called Brand Yourself instead. 

My profile there contains my resumé, the briefest of biographical info, and a contact link. It's also more visually appealing than LinkedIn, which, if you appreciate aesthetics, is a plus. 

Brand Yourself periodically sends me email alerts letting me know who has looked at my profile. Today, for the second time in a few months, I got this notice:
Someone at Department Of Homeland Security in Washington, DC visited your profile. 
Now, I realize I shouldn't be surprised that DHS is interested in the activities of scary seditious people like me, someone who runs a civil liberties watchdog site called TSA News and who regularly excoriates the abuses of the National Security State.

But don't these goobers whose salaries I pay have anything better to do? Like look for all those Dangerous Terrorists who are Hiding Around Every Corner?

Oh, that's right, I forgot; I'm a "domestic extremist." After all, I do have links in my blogroll such as Fuck the NSA, Glenn Greenwald, Free Barrett Brown, Popular Resistance, Al Jazeera, Corporate Crime Reporter, Edward SnowdenWikiLeaks, and, oh, let's not forget the frightening Gene Sharp's Guide to Non-Violent Revolution. Scary stuff!

And, of course, I was involved in the peaceful, non-violent Occupation of Freedom Plaza in Washington, D.C., in October 2011, which got me blacklisted by NPR, supposed bastion of reputable reporting, and which also got us occupiers investigated by the FBI/DHS/Stratfor/National Security State and designated as a "terrorist threat." Though at least said National Security State concluded, in an email dated August 18, 2011, that:
No, we’re not aware of any concrete connections between fundamentalist Islamist movements and the Day of Rage, or the October 2011 movement at this point. 
Thank heavens for small mercies.

Anyway, once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more. Maybe one of these days our overpaid overlords in the United States of Homeland will hit pay dirt.

(Graphic courtesy of your tax dollars)